© 2019 by Camp McIntosh. Proudly created with Wix.com

History About Camp McIntosh

Camp McIntosh was opened in 1946 by Jim and Loretta McIntosh.  The McIntosh families had been living at the mouth of the French River since the 1890’s.  The Camp was built on Lots 13, 14 and 15 of the Town of Coponaning which is shown on the survey map and was never registered as a town.  The Camp is located on King’s Island near the mouth of the French River.

Jim McIntosh built the cabins, furniture and docks as well as the boats.  He was a boat builder by trade.  The McIntosh’s ran the camp as an All-American Plan.

The McIntosh’s sold to Bruce Thompson and family in 1973, who also ran the camp as an All-American Plan.  In 1978, Mr. Thompson purchased all the buildings from C.H. Gauthiers Fisheries.  The lumber was used for repairs at the camp with the exception of the net making and repair shop, which was reconstructed at the camp and is still used today. 

The French River was designated as a Canadian Heritage River in 1986 and was established as French River Provincial Park in 1989.  Camp McIntosh is nearly surrounded by the park.

Madeleine Dubois-Roger purchased Camp McIntosh in 1995 and her husband Jim and her created a prosperous, fun and exciting camp for a steady stream of fisherman and hunters with many repeat customers. Through the years, there were many upgrades and improvements made to the camp including a new dining room with a full commercial kitchen.

In 2019 Madeleine and her husband, Jim, decided it was time to retire from running the camp.

Andre and Tracey Dupuis purchased Camp McIntosh in September 2019. They have been visiting Camp McIntosh for many years to lend a hand, fish and created lasting relationships with Madeleine and Jim and fellow fisherman.  They are looking forward to hosting new and old friends who are eager to experience the amazing fishing and remoteness of Camp McIntosh with the continued All-American Plan.

Your Hosts

Andre and Tracey Dupuis

An Interesting Read